Sunday, May 16, 2004

US Hostage Beheading

You know, I searched all night and all day to see if I could get a copy of the video showing the beheading of the US hostage in Iraq. I got one.

I know I should be concerned or worried, but I watched this guy get his head sawn off, complete with sound and vision, by animals in Iraq. And to be honest, I wasn't sickened, or horrified, or disgusted. Yes, it was poor quality video, but I watched a man get savagely beheaded and my reaction has me worried. I'm non-plussed. I'll probably sleep well again tonight. Yet this has to be the most inhumane and barbaric thing I've ever witnessed. Is it because I'm numb to man's inhumanity to man? Is it because I've become used to watching the videos, the movies, the pics and vids emailed to me by friends who revel in trying to shock their addressees? I mean, I'm a loving, sensitive father (I think), and a humanitarian guy who truly has a positive, responsible attitude. But why doesn't this worry me? I desperately want to be disgusted by this vile act; this disgusting and un-godly crime. But I'm not. Why?

I had a tough upbringing. I was emotionally and physically brutalised by my mother, my sister and my father. But I have three great kids and a wife, and by other's admission, I'm doting, loving and kindly. Then why can't I be moved by what has to be the most brutal act I've ever witnessed?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home